Being a stay-at-home mom is definitely a full-time job. But with the financial stresses of today, a lot of moms are trying to figure out how to make money as a stay at home mom and still contribute to the family income, get out of debt, or have some extra fun money on the side. Just because you’re a stay-at-home mom, doesn’t mean you can’t do this. With the internet, there are many opportunities for you to turn your own home-office into a money maker. Of course, there are a lot of scams out there that make promises of big money or require money upfront in order to get you started. It can be hard to find which ones are legitimate and which ones you should avoid.
Here are five tips on how to make money as a stay at home mom:
- Selling Crafts Online: If you are a “crafty mom,” you used to have to go to farmer’s markets or local artisan conventions to sell your wares, but that isn’t the case anymore. Through the internet, your customer base can stretch across the country and beyond. There are local classified ads where you can sell. And sites like etsy.com give you the opportunity to sell your crafts, blog about your work, and network with other artists.
- Freelance at Home: If, in your pre-child days, you were working in a professional field, there are many opportunities to put your experience and education to work for you. There is an emerging online marketplace where you can find freelance work such as Elance.com and GoFreelance.com where programmers, writers, marketers, and consultants can connect with companies looking to hire freelance professionals.
- Blogging for Pay: There are a lot of blogs out there, but not many that write solid articles about specific topics. If that is your area of expertise, places like Giga OM look for writers to contribute to their network of online journalists.
- Product Reviews: Faithful bloggers are often approached by companies to do a book or product review. Sites like PayPerPost.com will pay you to post reviews about different products and services. You receive leads to various companies’ products and can decide which leads to follow. Then you write a review and send it to the advertiser, and you get paid.
- Promote Your At-Home Business: Moms who are involved in an out-of-home business like Mary Kay or Melaleuca can use the internet to network and draw in a customer base. Using Facebook or Twitter, you have the chance to keep in contact with your customers and inform them of up-coming events.
About the author: Diane Johnson graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in political science. When she’s not traveling she enjoys writing articles about online colleges, reading books, and shopping.
Incoming search terms: